- A large local authority had implemented a mission-critical Oracle Real Application Cluster (RAC) used for revenue and benefits systems
- The environment needed to be highly available and offer rapid data processing to meet high levels of demand
- Shortly after ‘go-live’ a senior database administrator (DBA) left the team
- This led to poor function in the RAC environment: processes were slow and the database became unstable, affecting service levels and leading to spiralling support costs
We started by assessing the RAC database. We identified quickly that a substantial portion of the council’s resource went towards supporting a poorly-configured physical cluster build. It became clear that the environment should be reconfigured to create a stable underlying database.
Xynomix worked closely with the client’s on-site DBA team and management to re-architect the entire Oracle RAC cluster, including database patching for 9 environments. Our aim was to facilitate effective query performance, eliminate unnecessary downtime and provide a robust, scalable base onto which they could build their systems.
The council made full use of our consultants’ specialist skills, covering Oracle RAC re-configuration/installation, database tuning, full documentation, skills transfer and general troubleshooting.
- Optimised query processing, 99.9% database uptime, significantly reduced Oracle licensing and support costs
- After the successful project conclusion, the council elected not to employ a new senior DBA and engaged Xynomix to provide 24×7×365 support on a proactive and reactive basis
- With Xynomix support, the council’s on-site DBAs can focus on specific tasks, outsource work as required and concentrate on specific projects to achieve business objectives